Installing "Big Red"

"Big Red", 115h x 57w x 32d

Blue Hill Art & Cultural Center

Sculptor Peter Strasser with "Balancing Boulder with Branch"9'6" X 3' X 3'  (Approx. 1000 lbs)

During the weeks between art exhibition changes at Blue Hill Plaza, do you ever wonder how the large sculptures all of a sudden appear in their places? 

It takes quite a lot of planning and coordinating with many people to make it happen! Read the article below by sculptor, Peter Strasser, whose work was exhibited in "Revealing Common Ground", Nov 2014 - Apr. 2015 .


"The Daunting Experience of Safely Transporting Large,

Heavy Sculptures" 

by Peter Strasser, Sculptor
March 12, 2015

Recently I was invited to display some of my sculptures along with a number of other talented fine artists in the art show, “Revealing Common Ground, “ at The Blue Hill Art and Cultural Center. The show, curated by Barbara Sussman, will be on view until April 17, 2015. Two of the four sculptures that I was displaying posed additional care and planning because of their great size. Each weigh between 1000-1500 lbs. and reach heights of 10 ft.  Below is a guide for accomplishing the successful installing of these pieces.

There are 5 stages in the movement of large sculptures

from artist studio to gallery space.  

The first stage is planning.  An inspection of the

gallery or space that they will be displayed in must

be undertaken. Special attention must be given to

any obstructions in moving them through the interior,

such as door widths and heights, curbs, stairs and

ceiling heights, as well as protection of the existing

floor if necessary while transporting the heavy

sculpture across the floor surfaces.

The second stage is protecting the piece for shipment.  

It is necessary to secure the piece if it is fragile at the

studio, and in my case, wrapping each piece up with

cloth moving blankets, and then a good deal of plastic

wrap, so the final piece resembles a huge mummy. I

always put two slings around the sculpture near the top

and bottom prior to wrapping so that once completed, one end of each sling still protrudes from the protective wrapping for future lifting of the sculpture.

The third stage is to carefully lift the pieces into a truck and secure or onto an open trailer which we did with my sculptures.  I used a Kubota tractor with a front loader and attachable forks to lift the sculptures up and onto a trailer, and another piece onto an open pick-up truck.  Once secure we slowly drove the pieces to Blue Hill Plaza.

The forth stage is unloading the 1000-1500 lb. sculptures. The trick is to carefully remove them from the trailer and pick-up truck. Because the trailer

had a ramp we were able to wheel the larger sculpture

off the trailer with half a dozen riggers.  The second

large sculpture was hand carried by the six riggers

from the rear of the truck to the ground. Once on the

ground the pieces were on a wheelbase dollies and

moved into the interior of the plaza for


The fifth stage of the process is to stand up the

sculptures and secure them to a pedestal in an area

that the curator deems most fitting for display. My

process was to use an aluminum gantry with a sliding

trolley and chain hoist. Once the gantry was erected it

is moved over the horizontal wooden sculpture. The sling that was secured in the protecting stage is hooked onto the chain hoist, and the process of hoisting the sculpture begins. This has to be done incredibly slow and carefully, constantly looking for any potential danger of something slipping or moving unexpectedly. Once the sculpture is standing in its upright position it is carefully unwrapped and any additional securing to their bases with bolts is completed. 

An audible sigh of relief is heard when the sculpture is standing proudly on its pedestal and secured properly.